We turn our attention to the final step in bread making: baking the bread, ovens, and the warmth and community that is built around them. It is all about ovens: how to make the most of your oven, how to build one without a plan, and how ovens bring us closer to each other.
In this issue
- Four ovens used by four home bakers to bake real bread.
- Community ovens are coming back — with the help of inspired groups of people around the world.
- In the oven, dough transforms into bread. But how does this happen? An exploration of the science of heat.
- A look at The Loaf (in a Box), a pop-up bakery project designed for learning and sharing bread inspiration.
- Tweaks and ideas that will help you get the most out of your home oven.
- Interview with Tom Baker, a baker who runs a bakery and cookery school devoted to promoting real food and healthy living.
- A Christmas bread recipe.
- What happens when four brothers decide to build an oven without a plan?